So I decided to get a book on the topic.
So what is Oil Pulling?
Photobomb level: Cat
I wanted to know more:
- Oil pull in the shower. When you are done use the oil as a moisturizer before washing off. Coconut oil is great for skin and hair.
- When using coconut oil, keep some in a small bottle that you can heat with the shower water so it is not solid when you put it in your mouth.
- Use less oil, swish for ten mins, spit it out and repeat. (my cousin suggested this because 20 mins with the same oil would make her throw up.) I found I preferred this method, and would sometimes even use two types of oil.
- Do not think about what you are doing while you are doing it. This drags it out and you may make yourself gag. So do it in the shower, while meditating, while you do the rest of your morning activities. I make coffee, make my son's lunch, get the daughter out of bed, sometimes even clean around the house.
- Rinse your mouth out after with something other than water. Some people suggest warm salt water. When I had a sore throat this was extra soothing. You can use mouthwash too. You want something that will cut through the oil so you do not swallow it.
- Floss right after oil pulling, I found this really made flossing more effective, I do this before I wash my mouth out, making sure to just spit in the trash. (You REALLY do not want to swallow this stuff).
Me this morning oil pulling while trying to write this blog.