Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Going Bonsai

A long time ago I used to make Bonsai Trees. Then I had a cat (really a roommate's cat) who LOVED to knock stuff of shelves. After being knocked off the shelf a few times it gave up and died.

Talking to my neighbor, I told him how I love Bonsai and want to make more. He offered me some tree saplings and I got really excited. Not sure what happened to those (they may not be ready), but I came home from work one day to find two Japanese Maples on my porch.

I have always wanted to do one of these as a Bonsai, but it is not exactly an easy one. From what I have read the care is easy, but if you don't know what you're doing it is easy to kill them.

Here they are now:


It is a Red Maple, a personal favorite of mine. I love the way the leaves hang.


I have been studying the existing shape of the trees and letting them talk to me. I have some ideas on how to shape them. At the moment they are a bit under watered because I did not know that they need extra water. Once I get them where they need to be on that, I am going to start really working on them.

Not sure if you can tell but at the moment they are tall and thin. This kind of makes things harder on my. I am planning to shorten one, and get creative with the other one.

I am not going to really shape them until Summer. Once healthy, I am going to cut one to shorten it. I am hoping to make something like:


and


We will see what really happens though... This will be years in the making!


No comments:

Post a Comment