Sunday, March 23, 2014

Vanilla Scone Recipe

I have been toying with a scone recipe for a while, and I was hoping to be sharing that soon, but I just can not get the recipe the way I want it yet.

So, to pass the time I offer you my Vanilla Scone Recipe.

These were made for the people I work with! YUM

So often people hear vanilla and think: boring. If that is the case then you are doing it wrong.

When I am making something vanilla flavored I tend to double the amount of vanilla extract called for. The quality of your vanilla makes a difference too. I know a lot of people make their own vanilla extract, and I hear that is really good too! Personally I use Mexican Vanilla. The brand does not seem to matter, just that it is distilled in Mexico. I have two brands that I buy: La Vencedora or Molina. I have never found a bad Mexican Vanilla. To me they have a deeper and richer flavor. They tend to be cheaper too.

I know some bakers do not like the color, and prefer clear extracts, but to me seeing that slight brown tinge makes me excited, because I know it will be a better flavor.

You will need:


  • 3 c flour
  • ½ c sugar
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ baking soda
  • ½ baking salt
  • a stick and a half of frozen butter cubes.
  • ⅔ c cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
  1. Cut a stick and a half of butter or margarine into chunks. (I usually do it in about tablespoon size bits.) Place in the freezer. Beat the egg in a small bowl and set aside.
  2. Mix four, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. (These can be mixed in a food processor if you want.)
  3. Get the butter from the freezer and cut it into the flour mix. You can use a pastry cutter or some forks. (This is where the food processor comes in handy.)
  4. Slowly add cream and egg, mixing as you go. Add Vanilla.
  5. Leave dough in a bowl or put into a large resealable bag. If you plan on freezing the dough for later use, this is the time to do it. Refrigerate the dough for at least 4 hours.
  6. When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and turn dough out on a lightly flour surface. I prefer to use a large wooden cutting board.
  7. Roll out into a rectangle, keeping it an even thickness. I use a ruler to check.
  8. Cut the dough into triangles, be sure to leave enough room on the pan for the scones to expand slightly. Drop the temp in the oven to 350 when baking. Bake for 10 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the scone. You want them slightly brown on the top.
  9. Place on wire rack to cool. I prefer to drizzle glaze on them while they are still hot. 
You can use any glaze you like on these. I tend to use a classic vanilla glaze or a lemon one.


No comments:

Post a Comment