Monday, March 31, 2014

Petit Four attempt

So I learned a lot today while trying something new. I had some left over cake batter and I thought I would try something I have never done before. First I was thinking cake balls, but I ended up trying some petit four.


The first thing I learned is that Petit Four means Little Oven. They are bite size cakes or savory appetizers. I have to admit I wish I had read more about these before I made them, but I have learned a lot.

They do not look pretty, but man the sure do taste good!


Most of the mistakes I made were pure technical mistakes, and I have read more since attempting, and now I am pretty confidant I will not have those issues again. The biggest issue was the glaze. I wanted to avoid the high fructose corn syrup of pour-able fondant. I did not want to use maple because I wanted to do a coffee flavor. So the first glaze just fell off and soaked in. I do realize that the soaking in was part of that amazing flavor. After glazing them 4 times though, they just looked like wet pieces of cake. 

So I ended up making a brown sugar simple syrup and mixing it with chocolate creme and coffee I was able to get a sort of coat. I topped with chocolate cream and a coffee bean.

Next time I am going to try a totally different method for decorating these. I have a lot of ideas and I can't wait to try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment