Friday, February 7, 2014

Maple Brown Sugar Scones Recipe

Today I am am baking my latest favorite snack.

I used to love the scones from Starbucks, one day I realized I could make something like this. So I set out on a mission, and came up with something better!

I am making a brown sugar and maple scone with brown sugar candy mixed in with an amazing brown sugar glaze. The glaze is so good my son told me I should bottle some up and just let him have it.

First you have to make the Brown Sugar Candy. I suggest make this the night before.

Brown Sugar Candy

This is something that stirs up some warm since of nostalgia in me.
  • 6 tbsp butter
  • 8 tbsp sweetened condensed milk (or evaporated milk)
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
Prep a pan. You can use a well oiled one, line one with wax paper or even use silicone baking pans.

In a sauce pan heat butter, milk and brown sugar. Stir often and keep a close eye on it. Heat until everything is nicely melted. You do not want to over cook the brown sugar because it can crystallize.

In the same pan mix in powdered sugar and vanilla. You want to move fairly fast because you need to do this before everything cools. Once it is completely mixed, pour into the prepared pans and chill.

Since we are making this to go in scones I recommend that you make it somewhat thin. Once cool, cut into small pieces.



Maple Brown Sugar Scones

  • 3 1/2 c all purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tea baking powder
  • 1/2 tea baking soda
  • 1/2 tea salt
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter cut into squares and chilled
  • 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 c pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 c molasses
  • 1/2 c cut up candy
Mix everything except the candy together. I am not good at working with chilled butter, I used a food processor with a dough blade. 

I always add dry ingredients first. Slowly I add the butter. Once it has a grainy type texture I add the wet ingredients.

In the food processor I got a big dough ball. I pulled it out, and folded in the candy. I then chill for 4 hours. While this chills go ahead and make your glaze and set aside.

Preheat to 375

After the dough has chilled pat it out into a rectangle that is evenly a 1/2 inch thick.

Cut into triangles.

Separate and place on cookie sheets. I like to sprinkle powder sugar on before I bake. A nice sifted dusting adds an extra little something to it.

Bake for 15 to 20 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean. The candy will melt and may alter the shape of the scones, but it can be easy to cut them and reshape.

Cool on wire rack and drizzle with glaze

The Glaze

  • 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • about 1/3 c powder sugar
Whisk brown sugar, cream and maple syrup in a bowl. I always use a fork for stuff like this, because I think a little fairy keeps stealing my mini whisk. 

Slowly whisk in the powdered sugar, until you get a beautiful glaze.

When sitting this separated a little. I just whisked it back up before drizzling on my scones. I use it while the scone is still warm. Once everything cools the glaze hardens perfectly!

These may be the best scones I ever ate!


No comments:

Post a Comment