Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mom's Sweet Pulled Pork and Honey Molasses BBQ Sauce recipes

Last night I decided to test a sweet pulled pork recipe. I have always made it very spicy but not everyone in our house likes that. I have not really been able to make pulled pork over the last couple of years because of that.

My boyfriend and I are talking about trying to get a food truck at some point. This is a long term goal we share. We also have been watching a lot of Dexter lately. Anyone who has seen that show, or read the books knows that a good pulled pork sandwich is his favorite food.

When I told him how good my pulled pork is he said I should make it. Said maybe even make it the main thing on our food truck.

Since I wanted to avoid the super spicy I tried a new recipe:

Pulled Pork Recipe

  • Pork Roast (bone in or bone out)
  • 1 small to med yellow onion
  • 1 cup of vegetable or chicken stock 
  • 1 table brown sugar or molasses
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon (or to taste) Kosher Salt
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional and had mixed reviews in my family)
  1. Place the roast in your slow cooker. It cooks best when the side with the most fat is on the bottom.
  2. Place cut onion on top of the roast. 
  3. Mix the other ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
  4. Pour over the roast and cook for 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. It is done when it easily falls apart. 
  5. Shred meat with tongs or 2 forks 
Serve on burger buns or sandwich rolls with BBQ sauce and pickles and red onion. If you want something spicier feel free to add your favorite peppers in with the meat and add extra chili powder. Reducing the amount of molasses will help as well.

Honey Molasses BBQ Sauce

I made this in a smaller slow cooker. If you do not have one it can be made in a saucepan but be careful not to burn it.

  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 c molasses
  • 1/3 c honey
  • 2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 to 1/4 red onion browned in 3 tablespoon butter
Mix everything and leave on low in your crock pot for 20 to 40 mins. Taste and add salt and or Chili powder to taste. This recipe is really easy to double or triple. I wish I doubled it last night. All 3 kids LOVED it.

It has been requested that we make it again tonight. I will be trying another BBQ Sauce recipe with meatballs tonight.

I served these sandwiches on sourdough rolls. Tonight I will be making sourdough subs to go with the meat balls

2 comments:

  1. This really looks delicious! I have been thinking to do a blog about recipes, and I think this year will be the one to do it! I found you in bloggy moms!

    ReplyDelete