Friday, October 25, 2013

Pumpkin Yeast Bread

I love pumpkin! I am sure I have said this before. I love pumpkin bread too, but recently I have wanted to start making yeast breads. I have not done that since my oldest son was very young. I recently decided that I want to stop buying bread and want to make all of the household bread.

In a dream I made pumpkin yeast bread, so when I woke up I looked it up and found it is really a thing! Everyone referred me to the King Arthur Flour Recipe.

Since it has been close to 10 years since I made yeast bread, I was being rather ambitious when I decided to make a shaped loaf. I made a standard loaf, and a loaf that kinda looks like a pumpkin.

IMG_1289

I plan on attempting this again sometime, and I am sure with practice I may actually get good at shaping bread.

Pumpkin Yeast Bread


1/2 cup warm water
2 packages (2 tablespoons) active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm milk
2 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups puréed pumpkin, fresh or canned
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 1/2 cups (approximately) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

*Note* I don't care for ginger so I substituted cinnamon and used clove rather than cardamom.

I really enjoyed making this. I recommend this recipe to anyone who makes bread or wants to try. It was easy, but it is sticky for a yeast bread. I had read that in the comments so I was thankful for the warning. If you are familiar with bread making you are warned!

Today I am making Rye Sourdough.

Since the Pumpkin Bread went so well I want to try another King Arthur recipe. It is for a bread machine but I am sure I can alter it.

Sourdough Rye Bread


2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 extra-large egg
1/3 cup water
1 cup sourdough starter
2 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, plus 2 to 3 additional tablespoons if the dough appears wet after the first 5 minutes of kneading
3/4 cup white or light rye flour
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast or instant yeast
4 teaspoons to King Arthur Whole-Grain Bread Improver

*note* I don't have bread improver, and I am not sure I want it. I am not going to use it.

It is not often I have molasses already in the house, but we tried a really good stuffed acorn squash recipe that called for it. I admit that is part of the reason that I want to try this rye sourdough.

Well I am off to the kitchen to fill my home with the smell of warm fresh bread. That just maybe one of my favorite smells ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment