Monday, September 16, 2013

Truth is Truth = Dharma is Dharma

Recently a friend of mine used scripture found in the Bible to describe his feelings about what is going on in Syria. He added no other comment, just beautiful words about healing people.

"And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with diverse diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatic, and those that had palsy; and he healed them." Matthew 4:23-25



This was facebook, so of course many people replied with their feelings about everything going on in the news. One reply said, "I don't think they are trying to heal anyone." Someone else wisely said, 'Maybe someone should."


What stuck with me though, is someone saying it was weird that he posted a Bible verse. I have known this guy since I was young. We grew up calling him Buddha, and only part of that was because he was a big guy. We also lived in a very Christian town. It is Texas after all. It was so overbearingly Christian, that many of the people I know from school have become atheist or even just anti-religion.


Me I see nothing wrong with him quoting scripture. He does it often, but it is mostly Zen teachings or Buddhist teachings. It has been really bothering me that people reacted the way they did, I even meditated on it.


As I was meditating I heard the sound of a bell, and a thought came to me, "Truth is Truth, because a bell sounds the same, no matter who rings it."


Bell



The word most often used in Buddhism for teachings or scripture is Dharma. It means simply; Truth, or that which endures. If a teaching is enduring, there mush be truth to it. So Dharma is enduring truth.


Dharma is Dharma




Here is a thought:


I have a thought experiment for you. Read some religious teachings from a different religion this week. If you are Buddhist read some of the Bible. If you are Christian read the Torah or the Koran. If you are atheist read some Hindu texts.

Really it does not matter what you read, just read something outside of your comfort zone. Read a message of peace and love that you are not familiar with.

If we are always in Our comfort zone, we never have room to grow!


You do not have to agree with me, but it is always good to let yourself look at something in a new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment