Friday, June 28, 2013

Living Dharma: I promise not to make this a Buddhist Mommy Blog

Dharma is often referred to as the teachings of The Buddha. Although this is true, it is not the meaning of the word. It was explained to me that Dharma means “That which sustains.” Dharma is anything that can hold true forever. Truth in the purest form is Dharma. Perception of the truth may change, but the truth will always be what it is.

Living Dharma is an idea of living your day to day life in truth and by the teachings in Buddhism. This is something I strive for. I am Buddhist, but I do not want this blog to be about that. I am not a teacher of Buddhism, but I do teach my children to think with the Dharma in mind, and I teach by example. So although this may not be a Buddhist blog, it is one written by a Buddhist.

The beautiful thing about Buddhism, is that it is more a way of life, than a religion. As the Dalai Lama says, “Do not study Buddhism to be a better Buddhist, study it to be a better what ever you already are.”

208890_444546368912148_645140343_n

Let me tell you a story of about my Living Dharma:


Life goes on, until is doesn't anymore. There is no truer Dharma than that. The good, the bad, the ugly, the sweet, the wonderful, it all just is. Bad times come, but they do pass. Good Times come, but they pass too. It is our reaction to them that makes everything what it is. Perception is key here. It can change everything.

I have many health problems, that I do not wish to get into here. I have another blog that deals with that. Because of these problems I hit a dark depression and due to the medication I was on I slept all the time. I have a very good friend with many of the same issues along with chronic pain. I asked her how she dealt with all of this with out her medicine. She told me Buddhism and weed. (She has medical marijuana.)

So I studied the Dharma, and after a lot of thought, and meditation I decided to become Buddhist. The philosophy is sound, and to me it just makes more sense. It has nothing to do with God, or a higher power. That is between me and the divine. Buddhism is more about how to live life. I have read, and studied, and enjoyed many Dharma talks.

One day I was talking to another Buddhist and he asked me what type of Buddhist I was. Like all religions there are many sects and types of Buddhists. Each one with it's own rules and dogma. I hate dogma and that was always one of my biggest issues with other religions. So I told him I was unaffiliated. He was mad and confused by this. I told him some of my favorite Dharma and pointed out there was no need for a sect. Dharma is Dharma, it does not matter the source. He told me I should be Zen.

I do like Zen Buddhism and find many teachings I love. Like, “Fall six times, stand up seven.” I prefer nondogmatic though. When I found Buddhist Boot Camp I fell in love with the idea! Not long after that I discovered Hardcore Zen. I admit I do enjoy Alan Watts, so maybe I am a Zen Buddhist, but really it does not matter.

I would rather just be a nice person.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="302"] Is it just me or does Alan Watts kinda look like Ra's al Ghul?[/caption]

For those who don't know: Ra's Al Ghul is a batman character. He is as much a friend and mentor to the Dark Knight as a villain.

No comments:

Post a Comment